Friday, October 3, 2014

Summer 2014!

Well, I suppose it's time for the summer in review.  I fully recognize that it is October, but in Juarez, summer seems to last at least until Halloween, so this still counts.  We have had a great few months, and had opportunities to travel quite a bit to see family and friends.   

First off, I worked on the Consulate Fourth of July Party again this year.  I helped out with most of the logistics, and sang in the National Anthem choir again this year.  I wish I had some better photos, but I was running around so much during the whole event, that I never seemed to have a chance to stop and snap a few photos.  So anyway, here's a picture of a humongous cake.

Later on in July, we took El Señor up to Albuquerque to hang out with my parents.  If you haven't been, Albuquerque is actually a really cool town.  Lots of good food, and plenty of interesting sights. This was also our little guy's first trip to the zoo, which he thought was pretty cool.

We also found out that he is non-too-pleased to be in an elevator.  Something about the hotel elevator really creeped him out, and that sentiment continues to this day any time we get in an elevator.  Oh well, hopefully he'll grow out of it before we move into our flat in London.

We also made a quick trip up to Santa Fe, which was fun.  It's been a long time since I've been there, and I forgot how green it was.  A nice break from the dust bowl that we usually live in.

All in all, we had a great trip, and it was nice to catch up with my folks for a few days.  After that, we had a quick visit from my sister Jaime and her family, and then it was time for me to head off to...

Monterrey!  I spent one week in Monterrey (the Beverly Hills of Mexico) on Temporary Duty (or TDY as we call it).  Monterrey is an awesome city completely hemmed in by beautiful mountains.  I also got to catch up with quite a few of my friends from my entering A-100 class when I joined the Foreign Service.

Seriously, this city is beautiful.  If we ever make our way back to Mexico in the next 34 years of my career, Monterrey would definitely be on my list.

Let's see, what else?  Right, Sarah's little brother got married this summer!  We were able to spend a week in DC to help out with the wedding, and catch up with some family and friends.  Sure, I could show you some pictures of the happy couple, but wouldn't you rather see a dapper little one-year old?

Looking good, dude. 

No comments: