Sunday, August 26, 2012

Was This the Greatest Saturday of All Time?

Hey folks! Sarah has just caught a plane to head down to Lima, Peru, which means I'll be home alone for the next week. I'll be flying down to see her this weekend, and then hopefully we'll get a chance to head to Machu Picchu! I'll be sure to post a full report of our trip. Thankfully, Sarah and I were able to have one amazing Saturday before she left.

First off, we got up early to run a half-marathon.  Now, that probably doesn't sound very exciting, but as some of you may recall, Sarah ran a half-marathon last winter.  I was unable to participate because I injured my knee a few weeks before the race.  Well, after some physical therapy and a lot of patience, I was finally able to run the distance as well. 

I even made this awesome shirt to commemorate the momentous occasion. 

Perhaps this photo better encompasses my elation.

After that, we got ourselves cleaned up, put some Icy Hot on our joints, and made our way to Berryvile, Virginia, to see the Clarke County Fair.  We started off by checking out the carnival and the livestock winners.  Apparently, this bunny was the winner of his weight class.  Did they have the rabbits fight each other?  Who knows?  Just one of the many glorious mysteries of the Clarke County Fair in rural Virginia.

Speaking of rural Virginia,  the Obama tent at the fair didn't seem to be getting a whole lot of love.  Apparently, even the people who set it up couldn't be bothered to stick around. 

Berryville was a bit of a drive from our home, but it was well worth the trip for the main event: the demolition derby!  Behold the sights and sounds of this amazing slice of Americana.  Witness the dirt track, with the state troopers standing guard.

Smell the funnel cake, along with my deep-fried Twinkie on a stick.  Sadly I ate the entire thing before I could take a picture. 

Behold the carnage.  Even Sarah was impressed with the madness.  So, I pose the question, was this not the greatest Saturday ever lived?

No comments: