Wednesday, August 11, 2010

South American Adventure: Argentina Edition

Hey everyone! Sarah and I are finally back from our trip down South. We had an amazing time in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Brazil. I ended up taking 572 pictures, so I figured I should devote one post to each part of our trip. Today we have our trip to Argentina, along with my side trip to Uruguay.


Buenos Aires is an absolutely beautiful city. It is filled with colonial homes and turn of the century, hotels, mansions, and opera houses. We had such a fun time wondering through all of the different neighborhoods around BA. One of the first things we did was head to the San Telmo Antiques Fair, which takes place in one of the older colonial parts of town.


One day when Sarah had class most of the day, I took a ferry across the Rio de la Plata into Uruguay. I visited the historic site of Colonia del Sacramento, which was a colonial port that constantly changed hands between the Spanish and the Portuguese. It's a cool little village that was lots of fun to explore.


BA is full of amazing parks. The city planners originally wanted the city to have a feel similar to London or Paris, and they included plenty of green areas and cafes to relax. This is one of the main botanical gardens, which is inhabited by about a thousand friendly cats. I made friends with a one-eyed pregnant cat, but I figured it was best not to take her home.


Everyone kept telling us that we had to visit the Recoleta cemetery, which is the final resting place of Evita, but I couldn't figure out why everyone wanted us to go see it. It was pretty cool. It's basically a cemetery village, with huge walls and corridors that you can get lost in. It's set up with streets and plazas and all the monuments are so large that it's hard to find your way around. It was cool, and would have been the perfect place to film an action movie shootout.


Finally, we had to head to the southern part of the city, which is considered the birthplace of the tango. The whole city is amazing with tons of interesting things to do. Stay tuned for an update on the other parts of our trip, as well as a post devoted to my favorite part of any vacation: food.

2 comments:

C-DOG said...

So then....does it really take two to Tango? Great Pictures! I enlarged the picture of the park and noticed the empty bench....I'm so going there! Hope you had a buen viaje.

Andi said...

What a great trip! I'm so glad you two had such a fun time. It makes me want to go to South America.

We miss you!