Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cafe Rio Night


Sorry about the lack of posting lately. School has been crazy busy, and I haven't had a lot of free time. However, Sarah and I have done some pretty cool stuff in the past few weeks, so I'll try to put up some more pictures in a few days (especially of our trip to New York). Over Spring Break, we decided to have a Cafe Rio night. For those of you who haven't spent any time in Utah or Arizona, Cafe Rio is an amazing Mexican food place that my wife craves pretty much all the time. So if your in the mood, just ask me for the recipes. All you need to do is go to the store and buy all this crap (oh, and set aside about 12 hours to make it all).


I think the real key was to making our own pork barbacoa (the secret ingredient is Coke) and our own tortillas. They aren't nearly as hard to make as you would think, but it can be pretty difficult to find the necessary lard. When I asked for it at the grocery store, the manager told me that lard was "out of vogue."


I had the pork burrito complete with all the trimmings, and it actually came out pretty spot on. And of course we had to serve them in the aluminum trays to complete the Cafe Rio experience.


Sarah had the pork salad, and she told me I did a pretty good job with the tomatillo dressing, which basically makes or breaks the salad. So overall, it was a pretty amazing dinner, and we had plenty of leftovers.

3 comments:

C-DOG said...

FINALLY!

Didn't all of us try and teach you that the "secret ingredient" to not only Cafe Rio Pork Barbacoa...but in fact...all of life is Coca Cola?!?

Why do you always have to learn things the hard way?

Ryan said...

Yeah, Sarah has been trying to teach me that lesson for as long as we have been married

Cassie said...

I have the recipe to the cafe rio dressing. If you want it, let me know!