Sunday, April 6, 2014

Chico's Tacos Is the Worst Thing I Have Ever Eaten


I'm trying my best to give you a bit of local culture while I live here in the Borderland. I'm sure a lot has been written about Chico's Tacos, which is a famous El Paso institution. It is perhaps the most divisive issue among El Pasoans; you either love it or you hate it. I figured I should give it a try at least once while living in the great metropolis that is Ciudad Juarez and El Paso, especially after it was recently selected as one of the top 35 places to get tacos in the entire United States.

I'm sure this will greatly upset my brother-in-law, but let me state unequivocally that this is one of the worst things I have ever eaten in my life. That photo above is literally the most appetizing image I was able to capture. Let me paint a picture for you. Take three corn torillas and fill them with some sort of weird, flavorless mystery meat. Roll up those tacos and deep-fry them. Then dip all three of them into some sort of boiling hot tomato water (not salsa, literally tomato water), and pour some crappy cheddar cheese on top.

Under the right circumstances, something like this could be delicious, but this is terrible. It tastes awful. Even worse, there is no effective way to eat these. They bring it to you (boiling water and all) in a paper tray, and give you wimpy plastic utensils that couldn't possibly cut through a deep-fried tortilla. So instead, you have to fish through the lava-hot tomato water with your fingers, and take a bite, immediately shooting the hot liquid all over yourself and the table. I thought, surely I'm not eating this correctly since I'm not a local, but I looked around and literally every other table/shirt in the restaurant is covered in steaming tomato water.

How can you live like this, El Paso? This taco is a crime against nature! Review: Negative three out of five stars.

No comments: