Monday, November 11, 2013

Updates from the Borderland!

Hey folks, sorry for the lack of recent updates to the blog.  Not surprisingly, a new baby puts quite the monopoly on your time, so I'm lucky if all three of us are wearing clean clothes and relatively well-fed.  Anyway, here's a recap of what we have been up to for the last month.

Hair Additions/Deletions
    
I decided to grow a beard for a month.  Everyone says that a beard stops being itchy eventually, but I have not found that to be the case.  Beards are literally always itchy!  So one month was about enough.  Sarah, on the other hand, decided to cut all her hair off, and looks completely adorable.

Fall Cooking is in Full Swing

It takes a while for Fall to finally show up here on the border, and we still have highs in 70s each day.  But that hasn't stopped us from going nuts on fall-related grub.  Case in point:
 
Butternut squash & parsnip soup.  Tasty. 

Chili and cornbread, a classic.

Butternut squash gnocchi (and it only took approximately 75 hours to make!) 

El Senor has Finally Started Smiling

This is a pretty exciting moment for parents, because it means that you can finally tell if your child knows who you are and/or cares about your existence.  For the first two months, babies just sit there and stare at you, occasionally crying for no reason.  So after two months of wondering if your baby is even enjoying life, smiles are pretty rewarding.  Keep it up, little guy!

I Ran in the Juarez Marathon
 
That title is incredibly deceiving for several reasons.  First, I participated in a relay with other Consulate staff, which meant I only ran about 7.2 miles.  Second, I didn't really run all that much of the race.  I cannot emphasize enough how unprepared I was for this race.  I signed up before James was born, thinking this would be the perfect way to be motivated to exercise with a newborn.  Ha!  I think I ran once around the neighborhood before the race, so I put in a pretty sad showing.  But at least I finished.

Sarah Threw Me a Surprise Party

My birthday was last month as well, so Sarah managed to throw me a surprise party with all of our friends from the Consulate.  But not just any surprise party; a surprise PIE party.

If you know me well, then you know that I love pie more than just about any other dessert in existence.  So Sarah made me a pecan pie, and an apple pie, and invited all our guest to bring pie as well.  It was awesome.  Thanks to everyone who came and brought me pie!

El Senor Went as James Bond for Halloween
 
I apologize for not having a better picture, but El Senor attended the annual Halloween event at the Consulate, as none other than 007.  He was outfitted in a tiny tuxedo, along with a miniature martini and Walther PPK (made out of cardboard).  He seemed to have a pretty good time.

We Carved a Pumpkin

Despite not having a ton of free time, we still managed to carve a pumpkin for Halloween.  I don't know why, but I'm incredibly proud of this.  Like I said, anything done around the house that goes beyond eating, sleeping, or washing clothes, seems like a major victory. 

No comments: