Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Times, They Are A-Changin'


Hello internets,

I apologize in advance if this post comes off as whiny, TMI, or angsty.  I have had a lot of things on my mind lately (ha!) and wanted to take a minute to share my thoughts and most of all gratitude to my friends, family, and community.  

Anyone who really knows me knows that I love change. I would like to think that my upbringing (constantly moving to foreign countries) prepared me well for the Foreign Service. Yet, I have to admit that the last year at the Peterson house has been a constant whirlwind and admittedly I have at times struggled with the changes. Ryan joined the FS last September (I cannot believe it was only a year ago!) and since then nothing has been the same. It’s been a crazy year. We bought a house, got pregnant, moved twice within 6 months, arrived in Ciudad Juarez, and had our sweet little Senor.  I would be lying if I said we managed all of this without a lot of murmuring and tears (out of anger/frustration/etc.) on my part. 

I am embarrassed to say that over the last few months here in Juarez I have often called Ryan (or other family members) in tears, complained constantly about possible employment prospects, and generally become a bit emotionally unhinged.  I don’t want to embarrass him, but Ryan has been my rock throughout this crazy transition. I couldn’t even begin to imagine what I would be like at this point without his love and support. He deserves a medal for dealing with all of my hormonal madness.  I am also grateful for our loving family members and a wonderful consulate community who have embraced our little family.

El Senor’s arrival has also thrown me for a bit off a loop. It reminds me of the scene in ‘Juno’ where Jennifer Garner’s character is holding her son for the first time and she turns to Juno’s stepmom and says “How do I look?”  Juno’s stepmom replies "Like a new mom. Scared Shizless."  I am currently experiencing said terror, but the love and support from my family and friends have given me enough courage to hold on. I have no delusions that this will be an easy transition, but like the others we have experienced over the last year, I know that this one will be more than worth the while.

So in the meantime I doubt we will be posting many (if any) pics of fun baking projects (don’t worry I won’t/can’t stay away from my favorite hobby for too long). Though times keeps a-changin' and I expect there will be some more tears (mostly mine, not El Senor’s) I know we will be able to make it through this. Maybe you don’t believe in divine intervention but I can tell you that the events of just the last few weeks have reaffirmed my faith in a loving God who wants us to be happy. Just my two cents.

Love,

Sarah

* Disclaimer: I actually don’t really like Bob Dylan. Before I get any hate mail I would like to clarify that I think he is a brilliant songwriter, but I really don’t like his voice that much. Regardless, I felt the title of this song was an appropriate way to summarize how the last year has felt to me.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Sarah, you're a tough cookie. You got this. Parenthood scared the bajeebies out of me for a long while. Okay I'm still terrified and my Jack is 3! Along with all the other huge changes you've faced it's so understandable to get stressed.... I can only imagine! Oy! But I bet you will be posting pics of baking projects for me to drool over before you know it. Because things will go back to some degree of "normal" and you will feel like yourself again. It took me quite a few months after having J to feel like my weird self again but it came. It helps when you're able to sleep. :) Hang in there. El señor is so incredibly cute, it's really not fair to the rest of the babies out there. I mean really.

-Ally Probst :)

Kay said...

Seriously girl!! You are so strong! No words for how impressed I am. You make me feel like I could be tougher. Considering how much closer my pediatrician is me I should be able to get there with a little less complaining.
It's going to get better and better. Love you and thinking of you.