Sunday, July 28, 2013

Going Down to Chihuahua City

A few weeks ago we had the major political elections in Chihuahua State.  As a member of the Consulate, I was invited to participate in election monitoring, which meant a quick visit down to the state capital Chihuahua City.  It was a great opportunity to go see a new city and get a better idea of what life is like away from the border.  Many of our visa applicants actually come from the city for their interviews (about a four-hour drive), so it was great to gain some perspective. 

The election monitoring was incredibly interesting, and I was glad I had the opportunity.  But perhaps most importantly, there is a Mennonite community about halfway between Chihuahua City and Juarez that is famous for their cheese.  So I may not have taken a lot of photos of my visit, but at least I got some good cheese as a souvenir. 

No comments: