Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Foreign Service?

Hey all,

I received some interesting news a few days ago. Last summer I took the Foreign Service Officer Test, which is the first step toward working as a U.S. diplomat overseas. I was surprised to learn that I had passed and they wanted me to take the second test, which is a series of essays. I turned those in as well, and was surprised again to find that I had passed. They wanted me to sign up for the Oral Assessment, which is an all-day interview where they test you on the qualities they find most important for a Foreign Service Officer.

I was fortunate enough to receive a passing score on this as well (albeit just barely). So what that means is I now have to pass a security and medical clearance check and I may be asked to join the State Department as a Foreign Service Officer! We're not sure if that's what we want to do, but it's a nice option to have. We'll be sure to keep you posted on any updates. For now, if you would like to find out more about what the Foreign Service does, you can read this article recently published by BYU magazine.

http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2986

No comments: