Friday, April 2, 2010

Cherry Blossom Festival


This last weekend Sarah and I decided it was finally time to go out and see the National Zoo. It was still a little chilly here in DC, but fortunately all of the animals were laying out in the sun to stay warm, so we could see them.


Apparently the pandas at the National Zoo are notoriously difficult to photograph, since they are always hiding. In fact, the Zoo even has a contest to see who can get the best picture. Sarah thinks I should submit this one of a sulky panda to the contest.


The otters seemed to be having the best time soaking up some sun on the rocks. They all just sat in a pile on the rocks, occasionally rolling on to their backs to warm up their bellies. Ironically, this is how I spend most of my Saturdays as well.


Last Saturday was also the kick-off of the National Cherry Blossom festival, which celebrates the blooming of the 3000+ cherry blossom trees around DC that were given as a gift by the city of Tokyo in 1912. This year it also coincided with the Kite Festival, where people come fly their kites on the National Mall.


Plus, no Peterson outing would be complete without some cupcakes to finish it off. We stopped by "Hello Cupcake" in Dupont Circle on our way into town to pick up some snacks for the afternoon. I wanted to give mine to one of those sunbathing otters; it would have made his day.

3 comments:

Corndog said...

yeah...I bet that a cupcake from "Hello Cupcake" would be otter-ly delicious!

Kathy said...

I think it's great that you can go anywhere in D.C. and get a delicious cupcake. It certainly makes me want to visit. Soon.
Hootie

Anonymous said...

Sunbathing otters, kites, cherry blossoms, cupcakes... you guys are living the high life! I am now hyper-aware of the lack of these things in my life. Miss you guys!